New Healthinaging.org Website Offers Health Information Unique to Older Adults
American Geriatrics Society Foundation launches website to help seniors and caregivers manage complex health issues,
2012 - Providing the up-to-date, expert health information that all older adults - especially those with multiple, complex health problems -
and their caregivers need, the American Geriatrics Society (AGS) Foundation for Health in Aging launched its new website,
Healthinaging.org, on Wednesday.
This website is a unique resource for older all adults, especially for those coping with multiple health problems, says
Jan Busby-Whitehead, MD, Chief of the Division of Geriatric Medicine at the University of North Carolina and Chair of the AGS Foundation for
Health in Aging. The information on the site has been written by geriatrics experts, so you can depend on it. And its written in clear,
easily understood language.
As adults live longer, they often develop more than one health problem. In fact, 50 % of all adults 65 and older have
three or more chronic conditions. These adults have complex healthcare needs for a number of reasons.
If an older person is taking different medications for different health problems, for example, these drugs may cause
troublesome side effects, or interact with one another in potentially harmful ways.
Healthinaging.org is a must-visit site for all older people and their caregivers. It offers information on how to lower
the risks of developing health problems that are common with aging. It provides up-to-date, expert information on specific health conditions,
including an explanation of what is unique about the condition in older adults.
And for those with multiple health problems, the website guides readers to information about other, common co-existing
conditions. For example, the section about high blood pressure includes links to sections about strokes, kidney disease, and a type of
dementia linked to high blood pressure. HealthinAging.org includes information about such co-existing health problems and how to manage
related multiple health problems.
Other features on HealthinAging.org include:
● Health topics from A-Z
● Educational videos
● Printer-friendly tip sheets on a wide variety of health topics
● Summaries on the latest research on health in aging
● Tips to help older adults start conversations with their healthcare providers about their short-term and long-term
health and wellness goals and expectations
● Special sections on managing medications, making care decisions, and making your care wishes known
● Insightful expert blogs on health in later life
● Invaluable advice and resources for caregivers
● Q&As about essential older adult health issues
● A free geriatrics healthcare professional referral service
For more information please visit
Healthinaging.org and follow at #3orMore.
The development of
Healthinaging.org was supported by a charitable contribution from Sanofi.
About the AGS Foundation for Health in Aging
The AGS Foundation for Health in Aging (FHA) is a national non-profit organization established in 1999 by The American Geriatrics Society
(AGS). The Foundations mission is to improve the health of older adults by:
● Providing health information to older adults and those who care for them;
● Advocating on behalf of programs and policies that help older adults to lead healthy, active lives; and
● Supporting research on the diseases and disorders of older adults.
About the American Geriatrics Society
The American Geriatrics Society (AGS) is a not-for-profit organization of over 6,000 health professionals dedicated to improving the health,
independence and quality of life of all older people. The Society provides leadership to healthcare professionals, policy makers and the
public by implementing and advocating for programs in patient care, research, professional and public education, and public policy.